Portrait of Anthony Roth Costanzo by George Condo
This performance will take place at
St. John of the Divine
1047 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10025
Anthony Roth Costanzo, the avant-garde fashion/art company VISIONAIRE, and producer Cath Brittan present Glass Handel, an hour-long live interdisciplinary installation co-produced by National Sawdust and Opera Philadelphia and co-presented by the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, on November 26–27. Eric Jacobsen will conduct The Knights, who accompany Costanzo for four performances over the two–day run.
With Glass Handel, Costanzo and Visionaire have curated an unprecedented collaboration with stars from the worlds of art, fashion, dance, and film:
- World-famous American artist George Condo paints live on a giant canvas.
- Calvin Klein will wardrobe Costanzo, along with the orchestra, dancers, and extras in costumes designed by the brand’s Chief Creative Officer, Raf Simons.
- New York City Ballet choreographer and 2018 Tony Award–winner Justin Peck creates new choreography danced by Patricia Delgado, Ricky Ubeda, Daniel Applebaum, and Zoe Zien
- Nine opera “music videos” incorporated into the installation and shareable online will be directed by:
- 2018 Oscar-winner James Ivory (of Merchant Ivory) and Pix Talarico
- Toiletpaper art collaborators Maurizio Cattelan and Pierpaolo Ferrari
- filmmaker Mark Romanek (music videos for Beyoncé, Michael Jackson, Jay Z, Taylor Swift, Madonna)
- filmmaker Daniel Askill (director of Sia’s video “Chandelier” with over 1.8 billion views)
- painter Mickalene Thomas
- filmmaker Rupert Sanders (Ghost in the Shell)
- actress and painter collaborators Tilda Swinton and Sandro Kopp
- Russian art collective AES+F (recently representing Russia at the Venice Biennale)
- Chinese multimedia artist Tianzhuo Chen
- Celebrated orchestral collective The Knights, led by co-founder Eric Jacobsen
- Innovative format for a unique theatre experience provided by performance artist Ryan McNamara.