Each year National Sawdust hosts an open call for emerging and established Brooklyn-based musicians to participate in the institution’s signature Summer Labs program. Summer Labs is a chance for musicians to create and perform work in an inspiring space at a critical early stage in the journey of a work from concept to reality.
Musicians who are selected to participate in Summer Labs are given time to develop and perform a 20-40 minute music-based work-in-progress in our state-of-the-art venue. Following the performance, artists will host a 15 minute audience Q&A to discuss their process and their new work on the National Sawdust stage. As part of the program, participants receive:
- Up to 5 hours of tech-supported rehearsal and development time in the venue
- Mentorship and producing support from National Sawdust staff
- Marketing support, along with having their project featured on the National Sawdust website
- A complimentary multi-track recording of their work
- Up to 3 professional photos of their presentation
- A video of their concert for promotional use
- Access to National Sawdust’s network of world-class artists
- Successful projects will also be considered for future programming in the venue and with our partners around the country.
In 2019, three musicians will be selected through an open call process. Applicants should submit works that are classical, electronic, electro-acoustic, and/or multidisciplinary. Interested parties may submit their project through a simple online form. There is no fee to apply. Submissions are due July 7th, 2019 and will be reviewed and selected by members of National Sawdust’s Artistic Advisory Council. Selected projects will rehearse and debut at National Sawdust between September 11th -19th, 2019. All applicants will be notified of the status of their submission by August 15th. Please note there are no performance fees provided for participants in this program.
For questions about applying to the Summer Labs program, please contact email@example.com.