Digital and Social Media Copywriter & Coordinator
National Sawdust is looking for a unique talent with a background in music and writing. The Digital and Social Media Copywriter & Coordinator is responsible for writing clear, compelling copy for National Sawdust’s website, social media channels, print assets, and other items that require copy. This role requires taking highly academic and abstract concepts and descriptions of a wide range of music — from classical and new music programs to ambient and R&B shows and everything in between — and translating them into copy that honors the core concept while being engaging and instantly understandable to the average reader not steeped in music jargon.
The Digital and Social Media Copywriter & Coordinator must be able to think conceptually and creatively, and be competent and comfortable in producing both short- and long-form communications across a wide range material including social media posts, e-mails, website pages, print development material, online advertising, brochures, slide decks, and more. The ideal candidate can work well both individually and in team situations, and should be able to enthusiastically present ideas both internally and externally to managers and artists. The Digital and Social Media Copywriter & Coordinator is a member of the Marketing and Communications team, which focuses on understanding business objectives, targeting audiences, and defining a narrative that drives mission comprehension, affinity for National Sawdust, and ticket sales for shows.
This is an entry-level position. Prefer 1-3 years working experience or equivalent in internship hours.
• Write clear, persuasive, and original copy, including all website copy and social media posts across all channels
• Copyedit all written material
• Work with the Artists-in-Residence to develop clear descriptions for the artists’ projects and brands
• Act as the written voice of National Sawdust, including writing for high-level executives as required
• Coordinate the social media calendar with the Digital Content Producer and Designer
• Monitor social media notifications and propose replies as appropriate
• Act as a consumer advocate to fully understand our communications and digital experiences from the consumer perspective
• Assist the Publicity Manager in daily listings for shows
• Think creatively, frequently developing multiple possible options in parallel
• Develop and deliver creative solutions to strengthen audience understanding of National Sawdust’s brand
• Promote continual creative improvement within the organization
• Actively contribute to a culture of innovation, excellence, and accountability
• College degree in music or writing (preferably with experience in both)
• Professional writing experience (portfolio of published writing preferred)
• Experience in social media writing (including blogging)
• Ability to turn complex “artist speak” into easily understood and engaging marketing copy
• Knowledge of standard copyediting norms with flexibility to match house style
• Acute attention to detail
• High degree of organization
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment across multiple projects at once
• Excellent ability to prioritize work based on short- and long-term needs
• Passion for getting others involved and having fun along the way
To Apply for this role, please send a resume, cover letter and writing samples to email@example.com
The Development intern works with the Development team to assist with research, fundraising campaigns, donor cultivation events, and to provide general administrative support. The intern will work on a semester-long research project that will culminate in a presentation to the NS team. This role will give a broad introduction to the world of fundraising in an arts nonprofit, and will give an enthusiastic self-starter the opportunity to gain critical skills in fundraising.
- Assist with mailing campaigns including organizing mailing lists, letters, and labels
- Assist with prospecting research for individual and institutional support
- Assist with board meeting preparation
- Assist with preparation of donor cultivation events
- Create informational packets for prospects
- Provide general administrative support to Development Department as needed
- Demonstrated passion for performing arts
- Superior attention to detail
- Microsoft Word/Research tools/Google drive/Excel + mail merge
- Pursuing Bachelor’s degree or already have bachelor’s
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by law. National Sawdust is an equal opportunity employer.
Partnerships and Private Events Intern
- Draft timely response e-mails to all private event rental inquiries on the department’s e-mail address
- Assist with researching potential private event clients (event planners and producers in the following industries: finance, law, tech, food, automotive, fashion, film, lifestyle, music, weddings, hospitality, etc
- Assist Director of Partnerships with researching potential corporate partners and sponsors (companies that support the arts and culture)
- Assist Director of Partnerships in designing pitching decks and proposals for potential partners and sponsors (using Keynote, Google Slides, and Illustrator)
- Accompany the Private Events Manager on client walkthroughs of the venue
- Maintain a contact list using the company’s CRM
- Day- and evening-of event assistance (including Spring Gala on May 7, 2019, at Sotheby’s)
- Create event timelines, update spreadsheets, etc.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited university or college program to receive credit
- Available to work 20 hours a week from February through mid-May
- Knowledge of Keynote, Google Slides, Illustrator
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience conducting research
- Motivated and hardworking, interested in start-up culture