Private Events Associate
National Sawdust (NS) is a Brooklyn-based non-profit organization whose mission is to revolutionize how music is created, performed and heard. Built with industry-leading customization to suit the wide-ranging needs of today’s artists, NS leverages the beauty and technology of its concert hall to double as a state-of-the-art event space.
Led by the pioneering composer, entrepreneur and educator Paola Prestini, NS builds new audiences for new music through vibrant programs that span across genres. Since opening to the public on October 1, 2015, National Sawdust has programmed 300 concerts and events per year.
National Sawdust is looking for a full time Private Events Associate to further our event rentals business. This position is critical to maximise our sales revenue and build efficiency through renting our space and producing private events for outside clients.
This is a unique opportunity for a dynamic, self sufficient and highly motivated individual to be part of building a new New York City cultural institution.
This position reports to the Director of Partnerships & Events.
- Provide timely response to all private event rental inquiries on the department’s email address
- Arrange and lead client walkthroughs of the venue
- Develop new business through prospecting and cold calling. Meet and exceed weekly sales calls targets
- Identify business opportunities through networks of event planners & producers in the following industries: finance, law, tech, food, automotive, fashion, film, lifestyle, music, weddings, hospitality etc.
- Create promotional and sales materials for clients and the public to capture new opportunities
- Build profiles for our venue on third party rental websites
- Develop strategies to maximize occupancy of our one space during empty calendar dates (20% of our calendar)
- Maintain a calendar of trade weeks (holiday season, fashion week, ad week, bridal week, etc.) to target specific clients and industries when they are shopping for venues
- Create budget reports and projections monthly
- Lead all advance planning for 20+ private events annually including offsite meetings, product launches, conferences, private concerts, cocktail parties, birthday parties, bat/bar mitzvahs, weddings etc.
- Day/evening-of private event coordination in collaboration with our venue’s operations team and our in-house catering team (RIDER)
- Work closely with our finance department for pricing quotes, invoices, contracts and payments.
- Enter and update all private events activity into our CRM
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 1 year working in the special events / hospitality industry
- Proven track record in sales, business development and winning new business
- Proven track record of increasing revenue through generation of leads
- Excellent organizational skills and experience producing special events
- Excellent communication skills and a professional manner for a client facing role
- Knowledge of Excel, Google Docs, Word and Keynote
- Knowledge of Highrise or similar database CRM system a plus
- Strong attention to detail
- Familiarity with the NYC arts/music scene and a non profit environment is a plus
- Full time: 40 hours per week
- Ability to work evenings and weekends when necessary
Commensurate with experience.
Please email a cover letter along with your resume to email@example.com
National Sawdust is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusivity on the stage and in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
The House Manager is in charge of audience management for all National Sawdust events. He/She hires and supervises a staff of ushers, part-time house managers, outside security and serves as on-site manager for the majority of events at the venue. The House Manager is responsible for setting all audience configurations for each event (seated or standing) and insuring that all proper egresses are maintained through the event.
The candidate must be able to work in a flexible and fast moving environment, and show the capacity to work on several projects simultaneously. He/She must be able to interact with audience members in a friendly, professional manner and effectively lead a small team of front-of-house personnel.
For events, the House Manager is expected to be on site at least three hours before start time and is usually the last person to leave the venue at the end of the night. In addition to working events, the House Manager attends weekly production meetings and also works in venue during normal office hours as required. Advance work with NS programmed events and private rentals is also expected. Late nights are frequent, however all best efforts are made to keep to a 40-hour/week schedule.
This House Manager reports to the General Manager and is a salaried position. A background in customer service in the performing arts is required. Please send all resumes and inquiries to Alex Johnston, General Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.